Thursday, March 7, 2013

The Dinner Ugh

"What should we have for dinner?" 
Ugh.  Dinner.
As much as I loathe cooking, we make an effort to have a family meal together each night during the school/work week.  But when it comes to deciding what to have, it's just ugh.  And I really don't like cooking.  Don't even get me started on meat.  I don't even like looking at raw meat.  If you ever hear gagging in the meat aisle at the grocery store, its me.  Gagging.  Because of all the raw meat.  I have even worn rubber gloves just to transfer the stuff to the crockpot.  But, I have to keep-on-keepin-on for the good of the family.  It does help that my husband actually really likes to cook.  And he's actually quite good.  He even gets up early on weekends and makes the kids omelets and scrambled eggs...whatever they want and they love it.  On the occasion that I have come down to let him sleep in, there is horror on their faces,  "um mom, are...you...making the eggs?"  And they do try to act like they like my cooking so they don't hurt my feelings, "I like how you make the eggs with the brown stuff on it mom."  Um it's burned but ok..hee hee.  Anyway, back to the dinners...I need a plan.

A few years ago we subscribed to a plan that I found on a blog called The Grocery Shrink.  It really helped us.  We went from spending $120/week on groceries to only $70, and that's without coupons!  We ate like kings and the pantry and fridge were full.  It was almost too good to be true but it really worked.  We knew what we were having for dinner every night and the meals were really healthy.  Slowly we got busy and lazy and stopped following the plan.  But I'm getting back into it now.  This time I'll be planning the family dinners by the month rather than the week.  That will also allow me to shop for bargains knowing I need it later in the month for a recipe.  I'll also try something new and let the kids each choose one meal per month.  I think that is going to involve corn dogs and other equally evil foods, but it's only once a month and they'll really look forward to their "night" and help cook.  

I will update how it goes this time around.  So far so good...

On another note..I just added a new item to the shop.  It's the Personalized Hooded Owl Towel for girls.  So cute how it rhymes :)  I have used this design numerous times on the towel for customers who specifically requested it.  But now it is officially available in the shop!  I also have the same design available for boys, which I will add to shop soon.

Personalized Hooded Owl Towel with Polka Dots for Baby Girls 






No comments:

Post a Comment